Korea has always been a country that has a great awareness toward healthy delicious food and it is always down to perfection thanks to their love of beautiful plating. The combination of colors on the plate, the arrangement of the food, the decoration of the restaurant, the unique gimmick they are selling, are the main reasons why you don't wanna miss out on their cuisines.
These are our list of places to go and foods to eat;
1. Bindaetteok at Gwangjang MarketThis might not be that famous around tourists and visitors, but I am certain that everyone should at least try to come to Gwangjang market once. There are so many food stalls in this market. Lots of these stalls sell sundae (blood sausage), bindaetteok (mung bean pancake), tteokpokki, odeng, sausages, varieties of jeon (pancake) from small to big one, etc.
We ordered bindaetteok and tteokpokki. It was the best decision ever for the bindaetteok. The tteokpokki was nice, but the one in Hongdae was probably better. However the bindaetteok was super duper yummy. Dip it to the onion dip and yummmm!!!!
|the wall was full of hand writings|
2. Korean Temple FoodI don't wanna say too much for this one as I am planning to write another post just for this one. Yes it is that good!!!
|Menu in Balwoo Temple Restaurant|
3. Shamcheongdong HeotteokThis is one of the best street food in Korea or in anywhere really. Best for cold days, because you will eat it when it is still hot or warm. There are 2 types of heotteok these days; the sweet one filled with brown sugar and nuts and the vegetarian one filled with japchae (buckwheat/rice vermicelli) and vegetables brush it with the apple sauce like shown on the picture.
|Yache Heotteok or Veg.Heotteok|
This particular one we got from Samcheongdong Heotteok in Insa-dong. It is kinda hidden from plain eyes. So you need to follow direction to go there.
Follow this map; Samcheongdong Heotteok
Korea has a lot of varieties of beverages. Most of them are healthy beverages. Of course I wasn't just talking about makgeoli (rice wine) or soju. There are actually more than 10 healthy beverages you need to try, especially on summer. Bellow on the picture is my favorite one, Omija Cha.
Here is the list of 20 Korean best drinks; Korean Drinks
5. Tteokpoki and Odeng in HongdaeI forgot the name of this place. It was a cute cafe in Hongdae area. We were kinda confused on how to order food because you need to order from a machine and give the ticket to the chef. After a while, a guy helped us out. We ordered 2 cheese tteokpokki for my husband and my friend and I ordered Odeng soup. It was really good, spicy but yummy. The rest of the banchan (side dishes) and drinks are free. Definitely cheap and delicious.
6. Home food at PARC
PARC has a really cute concept. The exterior looks like a house but don't let it fool you. The interior looks like a greek house with waitress wearing navy uniform. Almost feel like we are in Greece near the doc. This restaurant was famous for its home cooked meal. They have different menu each time. If you are coming to this place and by any chance you got the same menu like we did, I recommended the Grilled Salted dry Mackerel plate.
|Aussie Beef Bulgogi Plate, my plate|
|Grilled Salted dry Mackerel plate, husband's plate. I could not get enough of this.|
7. Ramyeon and Fried RiceWe went to this restaurant on accident. We barely remember the name of the place. But you can find it in Myeongdong, they are located in 2nd floor near the chicken restaurant. I thought I was going to regret this choice. We were going to go to the chicken restaurant on the 2nd floor but we went to the wrong restaurant opposite the chicken restaurant. Turned out it was the best decision. This was such a guilty pleasure meal, comfort meal, especially on cold nights.
8. Pizza from Pizzeria D'Buzza
We found this place while walking around near my friend's office looking for a place to eat. We decided to eat in PARC then. But we came back the next day to try this restaurant. This place is close to Ittaewon and you can take the subway till Hangangjin Station. It has a glowing review on Trip Advisor too.
|Fried Shrimp, my plate|
|Buffalo Cheese Pizza, husband's plate|
Enjoy your vacation in Seoul and Stay Awesome!!!